Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Hungry, Hungry Hippo

Not doing too good on my resolution. Seems like there is always something/someone keeping me from getting on the computer for a while to update. Ellie is doing great! She's gotten over her cold and the ped says her lungs are crystal clear. Yeah! We saw her surgeon a couple of weeks ago and he is happy with how she's doing. He seemed a little surprised when I told him how much she is eating. Our new regime is taking her off of her tube feedings for 1 hour before feedings and see if she eats more. So far, so good. I think for two reasons: 1. she's hungrier 2. we are doing more table foods. Her foods have gotten chunkier and boy does she like it. The kid gobbled done meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and bites of baby carrots last night. Two weekends ago, she couldn't get enough of grandma's dirt cake (pudding, whipped cream and crushed oreas. Drinking is a whole other thing. She's decided lately that she doesn't like her cup as much and is pushing it away. Not a good thing. I can't wait until we get her swallow study in June. I really believe that once she can swallow thinner liquids and can get the cup thing down, we are going to be really close to eating orally at least during the day (and tube feed at night). But I don't want to get my hopes up too soon. I'll just keep pushing the cup and hoping it helps. We've moved her to the highchair for dinnertime feedings (usually I use a babyseat on the floor and feed her). She just looks so tiny in it. Oh, I almost forget, she's a whopping 17 lbs 5.5 ozs. Woohoo!! She was in the 15 lb range all of Fall and I just felt she would never gain weight. Of course, her legs just get longer and longer. She's got the same luck as Sydney there. Poor Reagan, she's going to be short like me:-)

One more thing, I never get comments anymore (can you hear the whinning in my voice?). Yes, I know I don't write as much as I used to, but let me know you're out there. It's always nice to see who checks on Ellie. Thanks!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Great to hear that she is doing so well! I was amazing to see her when David had her at school last month. She was just snuggled up and snoozing away in his arms! Here's hoping the summer brings lots of good and relaxing times for all of you!
Donna Swaffar, RHS

Donna said...

Oops, "it" was amazing, not I! That's what staying up all night with a sick kid does for my typing skills! ;0)

Jessaca said...

You want comments, you're going to get comments. I love comments. Look at all those girls grow. And what beauties!

Chance said...

Wow! Look how big all of the girls are! They are beautiful! Love you!

Angela said...

I love reading what all is going on and how good everyone is gooding - thinking of you - Angela